What, Why, Who, How & Where!
I am often asked the question: “What is The Alexander Technique?” I begin by explaining what it is NOT!
The Alexander Technique is not:
- About an exercise regime
- About mastering yoga or meditation
- About getting a massage
- About being constantly relaxed
- About perfect posture
- About sitting up straight
- About getting in and out of a chair
- A cure for serious disease or illness
So…. what is it all about then?
Here are some one-liners – an attempt to clarify this all-encompassing, thoughtful, mind-body, sophisticated yet SIMPLE work:
The Alexander Technique:
- Is a way to be in the moment
- Is a way to be easier with oneself
- Is stopping the wrong thing, so the right thing can do itself
- Is finding something new without looking for it
- Is rediscovering our innate ability to move in a coordinated way
- Is freedom from the domination of fixed habits
- Gives us conscious control, or choices, over the habitual –freedom to choose.
- Is “thinking in activity.” It combines thought with movement
- Is regenerative, rather than degenerative
- Can offer a new way of living
- Gives you more of your real self that you forgot you had
…… and finally….
- The Alexander Technique helps you change what you thought you were stuck with.
Benefits for YOU!
Why study the Alexander Technique? Let’s begin here:
Do you ever experience:
- general pain and discomfort
- excess muscular tension
- chronic shoulder tension
- back, neck, and shoulder pain
- pain and numbness in the arms and/or hands
- head aches
- fatigue, exhaustion
- strained breathing
- strained vocal production
- general anxiety
- lack of confidence, self-doubt, negative thinking
- performance anxiety
- poor posture
- lack of focus
Would you like:
- more energy
- relief from stress, pain, and injury
- ways to prevent further stress, pain, and injury
- relief from chronic pain or fatigue
- ways to deal with stress
- easier breathing and greater vocal capacity and control
- more authenticity and power in presenting yourself to others
- broader range of emotional experience and expression
- more access to positive thinking
- improved posture
- ability to text, work at a computer, and drive without slumping
- to discover new ease and coordination in all of your work and creative activities
Who studies the Alexander Technique? ANYONE!
- Anyone who wants a set of tools to make life changes
- Anyone who is physically uncomfortable due to stress, tension, postural habits, movement problems, old injuries, or poor self-image
- Performing artists and teachers of performing artists
- Athletes, martial artists, fitness instructors
- Bodyworkers, movement therapists, physical therapists, occupational therapists, counselors, psychologists, chiropractors, and physicians
People from all walks of life benefit from the thoughtful simplicity and powerful results of the Alexander Technique. Here are a few names you will recognize (in no particular order):
Sir Paul McCartney, Judi Dench, Mayo Clinic, Keanu Reeves, Leonardo DiCaprio, Juilliard School of the Arts, Yale University, Paul Newman, Sting, John Cleese , Michael Palin, Hilary Swank, Kenneth Branaugh, Kevin Kline, Lee Strasburg Theatre & Film, Israeli Military, Roald Dahl, Isaac Stern, Sir Ian McKellen, Yehudi Menuhin, Mary Steenburgen, Royal Academy of Shakespeare, John McEnroe, Lupita Nyong’o, George Bernard Shaw, Patty Lupone, Jeremy Irons, Jaimie Lee Curtis, James Earl Jones, Madonna, Cirque du Soleil performers, Los Angeles Philharmonic, New York Philharmonic, Robin Williams, John Dewey, Aldous Huxley, William Hurt, Patrick Stewart, London Drama School, Michael Caine, Julie Andrews, Sir Ben Kingsley.
By learning the mind-body principles of the Alexander Technique and implementing the technique into your everyday life you will:
- Recognize harmful habits that are getting in your way, both muscularly and mentally.
- Learn to replace habitual life patterns with new, more conscious choices.
- Learn how to do less and become more easeful in your daily activities.
- Learn simple tools to help you to reduce back, neck, shoulder and joint pain.
- Regain deep structural support in order to relieve chronic pain, restore balance flexibility and strength, refine the use of the body as an instrument of artistry, regain conscious awareness within your daily life, and rediscover the sheer pleasure of movement and life.
- Learn to be more easy and ready, soft and strong, light and substantial, firm and flexible, awake to yourself and to the world.
- Find yourself in a better mood.
-You will begin to utilize these tools starting from your very first lesson. –
How do I know if and when the Alexander Technique is right for me?
- If you see physical changes in your body that indicate harmful postural habits.
- If you have neck, shoulder and back pain.
- If you notice that performing everyday activities is becoming more uncomfortable as time goes by.
- If you are contemplating back surgery and wish to explore an alternative.
- If your anxiety is preventing you from being in the moment
- If you notice that the beneficial effects of other treatment options only last for a few days or even hours
- If you are a performer – singer, musician, actor, dancer and/or athlete and you feel you are not performing at your full potential.
- If you are ready to take responsibility for choices and outcomes (stimuli and responses) through the mind-body connection.
More information about the Alexander Technique can be found on the Resources page.